Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Unschooling - Part Two...Monkey Platters!

My latest obsession has become unschooling.  Since my back went out on Monday I have had a ton of time to read to my heart's content about unschooling and I am having a blast.  Its funny because I am exhibiting the very process of unschooling as I READ about unschooling.  Meaning, I have found a topic that I am excited about and want to know more about and I can't stop reading and researching about.  :)  That's what happens to our kids.  They latch onto something they are interested in and do everything in their power to find out more about it, with me as their support.  That is when the learning happens!

People who are looking for information about Ecuador may be disappointed in my posts this week because there won't be much to tell.  We have reached our 11 month here.  One more month and it will be a year.  Incredible!  Time has flown, and now we are into the nitty gritty of just living and learning.  Or learning while living.  I'm sure we will have a lot more to say about our adventures, so keep tuning in, but you may want to tune out on this one.  Unless you are interested in unschooling in Ecuador, that is.  :)

This week as you know from my last post I have become interested in the food paradigm that goes along with unschooling.  Last week I took the kids shopping, gave them $15 each and waited to see what happened.  Finn bought bananas, strawberries, yogurt, hershey bars, a bottle of Fanta, a small bag of chocolates and slinkies.  Tali bought a cucumber, a loaf of bread, ham, hershey bars and a small bag of chocolate.  Pretty balanced I would say.  How proud they were going up to the counter and paying for their very own food!

Unschooling also explores refraining on putting limits on when and what children eat.  Unschooling parents believe that given the choice children are pretty smart and will choose what their bodies need.  I have read excerpt after excerpt of parents finding this to be true. They also believe that many of the eating disorders and obesity in our society today is because of the rules, regulations and guilt trips associated with food.  When children have access to as much candy (or any other food for that matter) as they want, whenever they want, it is found by unschooling parents that children balance themselves and eventually eat less candy than children who have limitations.  The children end up feeling that since it is always there, there is no need to gorge themselves.   I am interested in seeing where this takes us.

One idea that has taken off in the unschooling world is the idea of "monkey platters".  This is a plate or bowls containing "healthy" and "not-so-healthy" foods offered to children with love.  Whatever is in the house.  I decided to make my first monkey platter tonight.  It included a big bowl of popcorn, ham slices, banana chunks, strawberries, cucumber slices, pumpkin seeds and cheese cubes.  I called to the kids that I had made them a monkey platter.  They came running and were so excited to see it.  They asked me why I made it for them and I said because I love them.  They thanked me over and over.  It was pretty funny.  We don't have a lot of junk food in the house since I haven't gone shopping since I decided to do this.  Next time there will be more of that. 

Here is a link to Sandra Dodd's website about food:

http://sandradodd.com/food

Here is the page about Monkey Platters:

http://sandradodd.com/eating/monkeyplatter

Here are my kids rejoicing and snacking on my first platter:





 What I am most surprised about is how quickly my attitudes towards food for myself are changing.  It is like a fresh breath of air is blowing through our house and sweeping out all of the worries and anxieties.  That has got to be a good thing.  :)










3 comments:

  1. Awesome, Sherry!

    I've been contemplating unschooling for a long time. I kind of swing back and forth with it. We'll have no learning agenda for four to six weeks, and then I'll get all paranoid and worried about Raven "not learning enough" or "being behind", and we'll drag out the books and do homeschool again.

    One of the things that bothers me when I try to unschool is that Raven is, and always has been, uninterested in reading. She's almost eight and just got to the point within the past two months where she can read at a first grade level (only aloud, with some help). My mothering instincts kick in and I want to MAKE her learn to read better, which is probably futile, I know.

    Another issue is that with our American lifestyle, always running around on errands and whatnot, I feel like there's seldom enough time in the day to really focus on what she wants to learn (mainly visual art), to really dive in and let it take over. Perhaps that will cease to be a problem in Cuenca!

    Looking forward to our trip to Ecuador (we leave on Tuesday) and hopefully getting to meet your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to meet you! Tali and Finn both are 9 and it would be great for them to meet a new friend. Facebook me when you get settled and we will plan a playdate.

      I think what you have to keep in your head is to try a little, and then watch for awhile. Don't forget that you and Raven will have to deschool first before you begin unschooling. That is where we are now, but I still see learning throughout the day. For the last two days there has been a discussion of cloud types, and yesterday Tali baked her own birthday cake, which of course incorporates math. But you shouldn't worry about the learning taking place (easier said than done). It just will. I'm new to it, but we can have a conversation about it when we meet if you'd like.

      Delete
  2. Hola,

    next year we want to move to Ecuador with our 4 kiddies. At the moment we home ed them in UK, it is rather unschooling/ free learning.
    It is difficult to find out about state regulations in Ecuador. To be autonomous is the most important point for us. Not to attend at state schools is our inner conviction.
    Can you give some information about it? This would be very nice.

    saludos
    Clara

    ReplyDelete