Saturday, December 31, 2011

Feliz Ano Nuevo!


We decided not to go to Banos today or at all this trip. Mark and I are just not up to putting on bathing suits right now. Definitely next year. We decided to just wander around the city again into parts unknown. We found a lot of quiet residential streets and a great playground. Finn made a friend on the zip line and they handed each other the seat. The little girl had a dog named Snoopy. He would chase both of them as they rode down the line. I asked her if the dog bit and she gave me some long synopsis nothing of which I understood. Usually I can get the jist of the message, but this time, nothing. I choose to think that she was telling me that the dog did not bite.

We went into a few great shops and will return to purchase items later. We found the Mansion Alcazar and asked to go inside and look around. It is a hotel and restaurant and just gorgeous inside. Mom, we will set you up here in style if you would like. It is really beautiful. Patrick wants to go to dinner there so we may splurge, but I'm not sure it is all that kid-friendly.

While we were eating lunch we kept seeing horses trotting down the street followed by decorated cars and floats. Clearly a parade was forming in the park so that was our next stop. We hung around the park watching everyone get ready for the parade. There was a lot of excitement. It wasn't that long of a parade so we stayed to watch the whole thing.

After that the kids and I were a bit tuckered out so we headed home while Mark and Pat went around shopping some more. Kinda sounds funny that the guys continued shopping, doesn't it. He he. While we were walking home we turned down a street that was under construction and the whole road had effigies dressed up as construction workers on the machinery. It was really cute.

Not being from here we did not realize that nothing would be open after 4:oo on New Years Eve so when we went to get dinner everything was closed. Luckily another resident was ordering pizza and we joined in on her order. We had to call three places though before we found one that was open. Erin is here from Iowa and she and her husband are in the process of adopting a 4 year old little girl. Her name is Audey Anna and she is as cute as a button. Erin has a 3 year old at home with down's syndrome and Audrey also has down's. Pretty amazing people. Erin was a lot of fun to hang around with even though she was pretty preoccupied with Audrey. She seems like someone who I could have gotten along well with.

The fireworks have started and Patrick joined right in. He has been itching to shoot some off for about three days. We hung around in the garden, ate our pizza, had some cervezas and chatted with the other gringos. The kids played with Audrey.

Tomorrow will be a late morning. We can sleep in because nothing will be open. We are meeting Chelsea at noon and walking up to her house. I am really excited to see her house and what her neighborhood looks like. I am also excited to see the inside of her house.

What I don't like about Cuenca at all are the diesel fumes and the graffiti. Both are so obnoxious that it almost ruins the experience. Almost. I can see past the graffiti, but it really is hard to breathe near El Centro and we will have to use scarves when we go into town.

I can't say enough about this weather though. Today was like an early summer day. Bright blue skies, bright sun and balmy breezes. After our walk I laid on the bed and watched the trees blow in the wind. It was so peaceful.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I am enjoying your posts, especially about today's weather as we are anticipating lots of snow :( Have fun at Chelsea's, I'll look forward to the pix. lyl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you and Dad! Sorry about the snow. I know how much you hate it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading more, Shery. Will you look further than Cuenca for housing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Karen,
    We will live in Cuenca for a short time until we figure out where we want to put down roots. I don't like all the pollution that comes with the diesel buses. Once you get out of town it is gorgeous, but we don't have a car and I have to make sure I can get the kids to any classes that they want to attend. So, we'll see...

    ReplyDelete