Sunday, July 22, 2012

Things That Are Quirky - The Good and the Bad

We didn't do much yesterday.  I was feeling lazy and very tired for some reason.  Maybe I just needed to slow down after all the running around we did this past week.  Since we didn't do much I thought I'd share some of the things that we find are a bit different in Ecuador compared to the states. 

A couple of weeks ago we went to a local ceramic studio and gallery called Artesa.  Most expats know about this place.  They have beautiful hand-made dishes, vases and artwork.  On Fridays from 9:00a.m. until 12:00a.m. they open their "seconds" store in the back of the shop.  I wish I had brought my camera that day.  You walk past the women hand-painting the unfinished pottery into a section that has all of their imperfect dishes.  We wanted to get a hodge podge of plates that didn't match.  Most of them had only small imperfections.  We purchased 7 large and 7 small plates.  We couldn't find any bowls that were deep enough though.  We can always go back later.  Each plate was around $1. 


When we first went looking for a fridge we ordered the biggest one that would fit in the space not realizing that even though it fit in the refrigerator designated space it wouldn't fit through the kitchen door.  We wanted a large one because we knew we would be filling it with fruits and vegetables.  Bummer.  We had to get a much smaller fridge and it didn't have an ice cube maker.   Well, I guess it sort of has an ice cube maker, but it is the craziest thing and I haven't gotten the knack of it yet.  You pull the whold piece out of the freezer and the three separate containers swing horizontal when you lay it down.  You are supposed to fill it with water and then stand it up vertically and the separate containers are also supposed to swing vertically as well.  Maybe I am not moving it fast enough because I spill a boatload of water every time.



After you swing it vertical and spill water everywhere, you slide the whole contraption into the freezer. 


When the water is frozen you spin the knobs and the ice cubes are supposed to fall into the bottom tray.  Usually I have to pull the whole thing out and pull and squeeze the containers to get the ice cubes to release.  I see a bigger fridge in our future once we move out of this house.  One with an automatic ice cube maker. 


This is one thing I like.  On the stoves they have a heavy, glass cover that does not get hot when the oven is on. It gives me another space to place things when I am cooking. 


When you need to use the stove top the glass cover opens and leans back against the wall.  Nice.


This is what gringos call a "suicide shower" because the water is heated with electricity.  We are lucky enough to have one shower that runs on propane gas and one run on electricity.  The water in the house is heated using propane gas tanks that are about twice the size of your gas grill can back home.  When the propane runs out, and your water turns freezing in the shower you are shit out of luck unless you have a back-up container.  So, we are lucky because if our tank runs out and we don't have a back-up we always have the shower that is run on electricity to fall back on. 



Before leaving Ohio I bought a Vita-Mix blender in the hopes that I would be making fresh veggie and fruit smoothies for the family.  I have been trying to juice every morning, but I am not following a recipe.  I just throw whatever I have in the fridge into the blender.  So far, Finn and I have liked what I have made, but Mark not so much.  And Tali?  Forget it.  Unless it is super sweet I don't think Mark or Tali will ever drink one. 

These are the veggies I put in the blender today along with some hot sauce and worchestershire sauce.  It was kind of bland, but I still liked it.  I ended up drinking the whole thing by myself.  Good for me.  :)




Here is another thing I like about my kitchen.  These really nice drying racks.


Milk comes in bags.  I wish we had a source for raw goat or cow milk, but until we do, this is what we have. 


This will probably be one of the reasons family might not visit us.  It took some getting used to, but now I don't even think about it.  In Ecuador you cannot throw the toilet paper down the toilet.  The pipes are old and they just can't handle it.  So, all tissue goes into garbage cans located next to the toilet.  Honestly, it doesn't smell and I change it every day.  Garbage in Cuenca is collected three times a week so it has no chance to sit around and stink up the place. 


You can buy sticks of butter, but the good butter comes in huge chunks that look like cheese.


The other day we were walking and we noticed that there was a large milk truck in the yard of the house on the corner.  We believe that you can go there and buy milk, so I bought a small milk container.  We're going to ask the neighbors downstairs because the kids said they saw someone from the family go over there and get milk.


That's about it for the quirky stuff.  If the weather holds we are going to go to the Latin Culture Festival today.  Tomorrow we were invited to a birthday party at Piedra de Agua.  I am very excited.  I have wanted to go since first reading about it.  Piedra de Agua is one of a few thermal spring spas in Banos, which is about a 15 min. taxi ride from Cuenca.  They have several pools, mud baths and massage chambers.  The kids are going to swim and the moms are going to relax.  It should be fun.  I will be sure to take lots of pictures. 

http://www.en.piedradeagua.com.ec/facilities

3 comments:

  1. Sherry,
    I had to laugh out loud about the ice-maker...our fridge has one too, and I still haven't figured it out, so I appreciate your tips and instructions..
    We've made several trips to Cuenca, and still haven't gotten to Artesa, though it's been on our list each time....Maybe next visit, because I can't wait to see the inventory - esp the Vega seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shower looks very sketchy.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL It works, Patrick, but I agree. I'm a bit apprehensive to go in there. They have them all over the place, so I guess do as the natives do.

    ReplyDelete