Monday, July 30, 2012

Fairies!

This past week we have slowed down quite a bit.  Mostly we are just waiting for our furniture.  Today has been three weeks since we ordered our couch, loveseat and chair.  We are planning on dropping by Casa Flores today to check on the progress.  We went last week, but they were closed for vacation.  Hmmm. That does not bode well. 
Our bed frames, end tables, tv console and computer desk will be delivered on Sat.  Fingers crossed.  Good news is that we were finally able to make a decision on a dining room table.  I wasn't happy with the dining room table designs at Mogab Muebles.  We ordered our other furniture from them, but I wanted to go somewhere else to look at tables.  We had read good things about Creacion Muebles so we went there.  I was very happy with what we ended up designing.  It is a rustic table with red-stained chairs and green or brown cushioned seats depending on what they have in stock.  I hope we get the green.  People who know me know I love color.  We also bought a small occasional table for the landing so that we can put our keys and sunglasses there.  That was delivered the next day and we are really happy with the construction.  I hope the table turns out just as nice. 

We met with our lawyer on Friday and things are going as planned.  Cuenca has opened their own visa office and they are pushing people to not use a lawyer, but Mark and I just feel better about using one at this point.  Maybe if we were more fluent in Spanish it would be a different story.  We have some tasks to accomplish this week.  We need to get colored copies of our passports notarized.  We also need to go and get what is called a movimiento migratorio.  I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I know where to get it.  We also need two more passport photos unless I can find ours in the mess that is still our house.  We meet again with her on Friday and present to the courts on Monday for our 12-IX extension. 

Three other things on our list have been checked off.  We bought a tv and got Direct TV hooked up just in time for the Olympics.  Yeah!  I made an appt. for all of us to get our hair cut tomorrow, and we are meeting with our new Spanish tutor tomorrow as well.  Mark and I are going to have to take lessons separately, but I think the kids would do well together.  I think they will push each other to learn.  Friday we are "renting" Dan and his car again and going to have another look at the surrounding countryside.  We are trying to narrow down our personal likes as far as topography and micro-climate.  Once we get that pinpointed we will have a better idea of where we would like a small farm. 

What else...I made another Ecuadorean meal from scratch.  Chaulafan de Pollo, which is Ecuadorean fried rice.  It took two days because I had to make the chicken stock from scratch.  First time I did that, but it wasn't too bad.  Coopera had already cleaned the chicken out.  That was the part I was dreading.  Mark deboned the chicken after it was cooked.  The next day I spent about two hours chopping up all the vegetables needed.  It turned out really good, but next time I will skip the rice.  I used brown rice and it was still a bit hard even after an hour cooking.  Don't need it anyway.  I would add a bit more seasoning as well.  I was worried about putting too much heat in it because of the kids, but it needed more of something.

Last night I finally returned the many edible favors our neighbors have given us.  Empanadas, granadillas, uvilla, and then Sat. it was cheese-filled fried empanadas covered in sugar.  So yummy, but so bad for you.  They seem to fry everything.  I tried to come up with an "American" dessert that they might never have had that I would also be able to bake, and that I would be able to find the ingredients for.  Cooking at 8,300ft. is very different than cooking in Ohio.  I was worried that I would screw it up.  My mom gave me a great recipe for an apple crumble.  It called for 35 min., but was done in 25.  It actually started to burn.  I learned last night though, that if you double the pans underneath that helps to prevent things from burning while baking.  Next time. The crumble turned out great and we had to hurry up and send it downstairs or we would have eaten it all. 

On Friday night we went to a "presentation" put on by Draw Cuenca.  I assume they do these often because this one was number 12.  We had no idea what to expect.  The presentation was at Sofy's Orchard restaurant.  The Draw Cuenca club was going to present as fairies.  We were supposed to bring paper and colored pencils and to get there early because you needed to get a seat.  Ha!  The fairies were supposed to arrive at 5:30p.m. We got there at 5:00 and no one was there but us and another table of gringos.  And that's all that came.  It was slightly lame, but we ate dinner there and the kids seemed to enjoy it, especially Tali.  This is what happened.  Some young girls dressed up as fairies posed for 10 min. while the patrons drew what they saw.  They they would switch poses and hold the next one for 10 mins.  Tali was really into it.  Finn said it was too hard, which surprised us since we all consider him our family "artist".  Tali may be usurping that role because what she turned out was pretty amazing for an 8 year old. 

Here is the first pose and Tali drawing the pink fairy on the right:

                   
Here is her first drawing:
 



Here is the second pose:

                      

                      



Here is her second drawing of two of the fairies.  Mark and I love her interpretation of the blue fairy.




Drawing on the balcony:



Our walk along the river yesterday:


Nectar Cafe was having a Sunday brunch yesterday with Argentinian flute music, so we decided to head up there and check it out.  Nectar is a vegan restaurant so we weren't sure what we would get for breakfast.  First was a very good corn-type pancake with vegan syrup.  It didn't taste like the pancakes and syrup we are used to, but it was good.  Next came a huge plate of home fries, cole slaw and grilled eggplant, yellow squash and green peppers.  That was good too, but we wish the pancake had come last.  The music was the best part.  The flutist was from Argentina and the guitar play from Chile.  They sang and played lovely songs from South America.  Tali was mesmerized.  She could not take her eyes off of the flute player, even when the food was in front of her. 




I'm not sure how to embed the actual video into our blog, but you can view it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUyXbViSN1M&feature=youtu.be



It rained a lot yesterday, but that didn't slow us down.  We walked all over town, went into some stores and an art gallery of a local artist.  Of course we couldn't resist supporting him.  :) 

5 comments:

  1. Love reading your stories, thanks for keeping us up-to-date. PS, I think your mom's raspberry pretzel dessert would be a terrific American goodie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first choice. Couldn't find Cool Whip. Couldn't find pretzels. And couldn't find frozen raspberries. :(

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you're doing more running around than I. You may need a vacation too. I don't know why it struck me as interesting that you had an appt. to get a haircut. It seems like something you do when you feel at home somewhere. I hope you're starting to feel more at home. I just commented to James something about you and he asked if you were looking to buy a farm. I said I didn't know and then read your blog. I can't wait to see where you end up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to ask, are there many donkeys in Ecuador?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are donkeys everywhere!!! When we drove down from Quito (10 hours) we saw donkey after donkey. I can't wait to get more. We miss them so much.

      Delete