Sunday, August 12, 2012

And now for our weekly update...

We started Spanish lessons this week.  Three times a week for two hours.  Our teacher is Fabiola and she is great.  She works with the kids for an hour and Mark and I for half an hour each, mas o menos.  With me we are just talking to each other as I practice conversational Spanish.  It is not easy.  The past tense really trips me up and we are all pretty exhausted after each session.

Fabi working with the kids as they learn colors and parts of the house by painting with watercolors.  Scout wants to join in.


Scoutie kicking back during lessons.


On Sunday of last week the whole family was seen by a chiropractor/kiniseologist from Tennessee.  It was an amazing experience.  He uses muscle memory to find where the toxic blocks are, but it is much more than that.  It almost seems to be a psychic experience.  For example, he questioned whether I have chronic fatigue, and yes, I have been living with it my entire adult life.  He also wondered if I have issues with control.  Ha!  That's a funny question.  LOL

We saw him twice while he was in town and the last time I asked him to look at my finger.  Back in the spring in Ohio I had fallen up the stairs and tore the ligaments surrounding my pinkie finger on my right hand.  I was in a brace for two weeks and a cast for another two weeks.  It has never healed and hurts all the time especially at night when I would feel a sharp stinging sensation on the edge of my hand.  I would wake up every morning stiff and in pain.  I couldn't make a fist or close all of my fingers together. 

So, the doctor picked my hand up and in three seconds (no joke) he told me that the bone in my finger was twisted and jammed.  Within 5 min. he had the bone back where it should be.  I almost kissed him.  I can now make a fist and all of my fingers align.  It is still a bit stiff in the morning, but he suggested taking arnica and icing it.  I have a lot of faith now that it will heal properly with time.  Yeah!

These are the ice cream treats we had after Dr. Motley told us that the kids and I are allergic to wheat, and the kids are allergic to dairy.  One last hurrah!  No, he said we could have cheat days and we intend to take full advantage of them. 

Finn's is a pirate cannon.


Tali ate pinochio.



We took the kids to a local climbing wall within walking distance of our house.  This one was quite a bit higher than the one at the mall.  LOL







We hired our friend, Dan, to drive us around the countryside again.  We are looking for and trying to pin down areas where we might want to buy some farm land.  We drove around for 5 hours.  We had a bit of an idea where we wanted to go, but we also kind of whung it and went where the wind blew us.





This little burro was taking a rest from carrying all the milk.


Uh oh, traffic jam.  They would not get our of the way and kept walking right into the car.  Silly cows.


The senorita tries to direct cow traffic.

5 comments:

  1. Great post! Glad your taking Spanish lessons - we really should too (immersion helps, but I'm sure our grammer is awful).
    The chiropractor sounds awesome!
    And what a wonderful experience living in Ecuador must be for your kids....The rock wall looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to learn another language but i can't imagine studying. I have such a hard time focusing and memorizing. We tried the Pimsleur Method when we went to Italy and I thought it was a pretty good way to learn.

    That chiropractor does sound awesome. I wonder what he'd tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The things he told me about my daughter who was adopted from China were surreal. It just about broke my heart. I had to leave the room and cry somewhere else. But, with this knowledge we can now begin to heal her. Thats the good part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was she there to hear what he said? How do you think he knew this stuff? Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fav... Whung it.. now that was perfect! :>)
    Hope you find your slice of Ecuador!

    ReplyDelete