Saturday, September 22, 2012

Whale Watching and Isla de la Plata

 
On Wednesday we went whale watching and to Isla de la Plata (poor man's Galapagos).  I was very excited to see the whales, but Finn was very apprehensive.  He gets car sick pretty bad, and he was not looking forward to getting on the boat.  I gave him Dramamine an hour before we left, but it didn't work.  He started to get green the minute we left land.  Right before the whales showed up he lost his breakfast.  Poor guy.  He sat at the back of the boat with Mark and the spray just doused both of them, but I'm sure it helped to have the cold water hitting him. Then the Dramamine kicked in and he kind of fell asleep on the end of the boat.  Just in time to miss all of the whales.  He didn't see one.  :(
 
I have to admit that I get a little excited when I am around wildlife.  Just a little bit.  Well, a lot.  I could watch wild animals all day long.  The captain said that 5 people could go up top and when they asked me I didn't hesitate.  Climbed up the ladder and made my shaky way to the front.  We had a bird's eye view of the action, and boy did the whales put on a great show!  They breached about 5 times, and there were fin waves and slaps.  It was awesome!  I have been whale watching many times, but it is always the bestest thing ever.  
 
 
Getting ready to board the boat.



We are both pretty excited.

Finn...not so much.

Our first sighting. 
 
Hey guys!  I'm waving to you!



 
 
Awesome! 

This guy breached right behind our boat.  Too
bad I was holding the camera up so high.
 
Disembarking at Isla de la Plata.

 
The Visitor's Center (with bathrooms)
 
We decided to only do the hour and a half hike.  Finn
felt fine as soon as we got off.

 
200 steps up.

 
Our first Blue-Footed Boobie.

 
They are so damn cute.

 
They nest on the path so you have to pass them
in a line.




Looking back on where we had just been.  Another group
is climbing behind us.









Looking down on our boat.

Boobie with Frigates in the background.
 
Frigate birds - gorgeous.

Loving my new camera.  Now I can get these great
close-up pictures.






Tali watching the snorkelers.  Too cold for me and they didn't
see much so I was glad I didn't go.
 
Puerto Lopez transportation - a tuk tuk.

Parrots in the tree outside our cabin.




After whale watching and a warm shower
we headed into town for dinner. 

The Bat Mobile

A whale carcass at Mandala.










 
Blue-Footed Boobie movie:
 
 
I still can't figure out how to embed the actual video, so you will have to click on the link.




 
 



















No comments:

Post a Comment