Thursday, November 8, 2012

Getting Farmer Fit

As I write this the kids are making chocolate chip cookies with their Spanish teacher, Fabi.  All in Spanish.  :)

Our good friend, Aaron Williams, opened up a CrossFit Gym this week in Cuenca.  According to his website, The Zone, (http://thezonecuenca.com/) Crossfit increases power, strength, cardiovascular and respiratory endurance, flexibility, stamina, coordination, agility, balance, and coordination.  Sounds like all of the things I will need to work on our farm. 

Just about everyone I have talked to has lost some kind of weight after only a few months in Ecuador.  Even my 9 year old son has lost 5 lbs.  But me?  Nothing.  Not one single pound.  In fact, I have gained 3.  So depressing.  That was one of the things I was looking forward to when moving here.  All I heard while we were still in the states was how the weight would just fall off.  Yeah, right!  I've even given up fresh fruit thinking the sugar was causing me to be at a standstill.  That just about broke my heart.  It was all I could think about before moving here...being able to buy and consume fresh, fresh, fresh fruit.  But even that did not affect my weight loss, so smoothies are back on the menu. 

My mom says it may be my age and hormone fluxuations.  I am 45 soon to be 46 this month.  I also think it may be due to a change in my lifestyle.  Yes, I am walking a lot, but I was on my feet almost all day while teaching in Cleveland.  Here I am reading a lot and loving it, but of course I am sitting down.  Back in Ohio I had chores to do.  Mucking stalls, feeding animals, hauling hay, hauling water buckets, moving animals, etc...   Here there are no chores to do.  Just a lot of walking to and fro.  And once we buy a car even that will be reduced.  So, I am really hoping this CrossFit stuff works.  I'm not looking forward to getting up early and getting there by 6:00a.m., but I am also not happy about the way things have been going. Something must be done.  CrossFit, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to agree with your mom. I think you can blame the weight gain on your age. I'm going to be 50 in 3 months (WHAT?!!!) and I'm right there with you. Hey, we need to blame it on something.

    Your most recent post sounds so relaxed and happy. It sounds like you've made the right decision to take some pressure off yourselves. Traveling sounds wonderful. James and I watched a romantic movie the other night and the couple escaped to Venice and it made us long to do some traveling soon. I love my life here on the farm but I want it all - travel too. Yeah, I'm greedy. Hmm, is this too long of a comment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not too long at all! I've started working out 4 to 5 days a week, but taking naps if I need it and not worry about feeling guilty. I was taking Hydroxycut for 20 years to combat fatigue. I'm allergic to quick doses of caffeine so I can't drink coffee. The Hydroxycut was the only thing that saved me from feeling like a
    I was swimming through water all the time. Since we've moved I have gotten myself off of it, but that means that when I'm tired I need to lie down. I'm lucky I have that option now. I'm just going to keep plugging away. You will always have a place to stay for free here. LAN is having a sale tomorrow up to 50% off on tickets. We are going to try to come back to the states next October. We would love to see your place.

    ReplyDelete