Thursday, June 13, 2013

Guayaquil

On Sunday we traveled to Guayaquil to submit our paperwork for the pensioner's visa.  We got the pickiest administrator and she accepted our paperwork, so hopefully we will pass the rest of the process with flying colors.  Yay!  We will have to go back three more time to pick up the visa, apply for our cedula (country ID card) and pick up the cedula starting on the 26th of this month.

On the way through the mountains we came upon some clouds that were dancing in the valley.  Mark didn't get a picture of the clouds, but he did get some good ones of Pat and Amanda.



Pretty windy!

We decided to stay in the Grand Hotel in Guayaquil since they had a nice swimming pool.  We were not disappointed.  The pool was beautiful and they had a gorgeous sun patio with really cute lounge chairs with big fluffy pillows.  They also had a roof-top party area with a pool and foos table. It was a great place to relax in the evenings and enjoy the breeze and a few beers.  The staff was also fantastic.  Very helpful and super friendly. 

Unfortunately on our first full day, Finn cut himself on a huge piece of glass in the pool.  We think it was a broken juice glass.  It was pretty deep, but he didn't need stitches.  The hotel paid for the medic and the medication.  We were hoping and thinking that they should have paid for one night's stay as well, but no go.  Definitely different than in the states for sure. 

That meant that I was left with two children and nothing to do.  We made the best of it though.  My favorite spot was the Iguana Park right behind the hotel.  We walked by it the first night and didn't see any iguanas.  The next morning we ran into two and were beginning to think that people were exaggerating when they said that there were at least a hundred in the park.  Well, once the park official brought their food of green vegetation by the wheelbarrow full, all the iguanas started to emerge from the trees. It was pretty awesome and I could have stayed there all day watching them. 

We also went down to the Malecon (boardwalk).  It was pretty, but so hot and muggy that we didn't stay long. 

Action shot.

Beautiful setting.



The beautiful iguana mosaic statue above the pool.


Love it.

Here is the real thing.





Mom and babe?

I need to get me some lechuga!

You'd better get outta my way, little missie. 
I'm on a mission to get to the smorgasbord.


 
Strike a pose.

Feeding frenzy.

If the lechuga won't come to me, I will come to
the lechuga! I love the little faces of the ones below.

Malecon

Finn taking a rest in the shade.  It was hot! 




Here are some links to the iguanas in action.  Can you tell that I couldn't get enough of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is_5i9FI0Nk&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfBqQcuvb_g&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QB5FaqlyPk&feature=youtu.be

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry! It's Sarah Stevanus. I used to live down the road from you in Oberlin. I love reading your blog. It's so beautiful there and the kids are so big! I love all the pictures! Looks like you are all doing great! I want to come visit lol. I love to travel and hope to go all over someday. It's hard now as a college student tho! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! It is so great to hear from you! You would be welcomed with open arms if you ever decided to visit. It is a beautiful country and I fall in love with Cuenca more every day. If you want to come, my advice is to make it happen! You would have free board, so just worry about the plane ticket. And bring a friend if you'd like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherry... I see you fell in love with the iguanas at my lovely city!!... Heck I miss that park a lot.... actually my whole country... anyways, my name is Johnny, now I live in Brownsville TX, I am a new web developer, and I am working on my site and I would like to know if I can use some of your pictures, specially the ones with the iguanas... I will use them as my site background and also I might use them in web templates just for showcase.

    Hope you guys are still enjoying my little but beautiful country and keep traveling around to visit new places, not only in Ecuador but also neighbor countries like Chile, Bolivia, Argentina.. etc.

    Have a great one!!

    here is my contact info if needed.
    jcalderon@iguana-web.net

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Johnny,
    Sorry about getting back to you months later! Yes, you can definitely use my pictures if you haven't already. :)

    ReplyDelete