Sunday, May 20, 2012

Purging

It is bloody hot.  88 degrees at 5:15.  I am not going to miss this hot weather.  I am looking forward to the coolness of the mountains.

What a week!  That is all I can say.  Monday night I came home from work with a fever and a sore throat, but I knew that I had to take the kids to Put-in-Bay the next day so I took some Nyquil and went to bed early.  I wasn't feeling any better in the morning, but I was happy that I was able to get through a shower okay.  When I got to work it was a bit chaotic, but we corraled the kids in the gym, counted them and got them on the bus with minimal fuss. I tried to give our bus driver the directions, but he waved me away and told me that he already had directions and knew the way anyway.  So, off we went.  The kids loved riding on the plush bus and loved the fact that it had a bathroom.  We all kicked back and I tried to feel better.  After awhile I noticed that we were heading down Train Ave. into the flats!  What the bleep!!!  We were heading east when we needed to go west.  We thought that maybe since it was a large bus that he couldn't turn on the city streets and had to go a round about way to get onto 90.  After awhile it became apparent that he was trying to get onto 2!  We ended up on Clifton Drive way far away from 90 with only an hour to make the ferry.  I had already told him that we had to be on the 10:30 ferrry and he assured me we would make it.  Yeah, right!

We finally got on 90 and I called the ferry and they said that they might be able to hold it for us for a bit.  We were going to make it.  Until the idiot bus driver slamed on the brakes and came to a complete stop on the side of the road.  He charges down the aisle and shouts, "We're not going to make it!"  Then he goes to the bathroom.  I was like, "Is this guy for real?"  One of the girls got scared because he said we weren't going to make it and she called her mother, who called Cathy wondering what was going on.  Long story short...as we are pulling up to the dock (after I told him how to get there, mind you.  Yeah, you really know where you are going, idiot!)  the ferry has just pulled away.  So, I had to call and completely rearrange our schedule.  We weren't able to see the Monument at all, which didn't bother me none since its pretty boring.  Although they were going to do a musket demonstration for the kids.  Thankfully the Cave and Aquatic Center were able to work with me and rearrange things.  We got on the train and took a little tour.  It would have been delightful if I had been feeling better.  It was the perfect day.  Blue, cloudless sky, 74 degrees, perfect.  The wind blew in our hair on the train.  It was very peaceful.  We went to the park and ate lunch and the kids played on the three playgrounds.  I laid in the grass. They had a great time and there were no mishaps at all.  All day.

After lunch our train headed to the Aquatic Visitors Center and the other train went to Perry's Cave.  The lectures were a bit boring, but the kids loved the fishing.  They were catching fish like crazy.  It was awesome.  I even caught a fish!  We drove around a bit more and then headed to the cave.  I started to get the chills on the train so I opted out of the cave.  I knew how cold it was going to be down there.  I laid down on a bench outside and slept for a bit.  My fever was starting to kick in again.  Then the kids did the gemstone mining, and they liked that too.  A little more riding on the train and then we went to Frosty's for dinner.  All you can eat pizza, pop, and a piece of fruit.  They were like crazy people with the pizza.  Honestly, you can't take them anywhere.  I couldn't even eat because my throat hurt so bad.  A couple of minutes on the playground again and then back on the train to take us so the dock for our ferry ride home.  Too short.

I forgot to mention the AC situation on the bus.  It wasn't working.  Instead heat was pouring out of the vents.  On the way to the island it was bad, but going home was a ride through hell.  We complained, but he said it was down all the way.  I said he needed to turn it off then.  I was so pissed.  He pulled over to the side of the road AGAIN to open up the hatches, but that did nothing.  Having a fever didn't help at all either.  We were all gasping when we got off the bus.  I am writing a letter to the company and Eric Gordon as soon as I get back to work.

Driving home was pure torture.  I started to black out when I was about 10 min. from home.  I thought I was going to have to pull over and have Mark come and get me, but then that would have taken longer so I drove as fast as I could to get there.  What a horrible, horrible day.  And I was so looking forward to it.  I went to the Dr. the next morning and I had strep of course.  By Wed. night I was in terrible shape and couldn't talk at all it hurt so bad.  I had a fever up until Thursday night even though I was on antibiotics.  Since I missed three days of school I haven't seen the kids yet.  I hope they had a good time.  It will be worth it then.

Friday night was the Arts Festival.  Finn had one piece this year.  His version of Mona Lisa.  Not bad for a 2nd grader.  Dad and Eileen came to see and then we went to Moosehead for dinner. We are very proud of him. 

Sat. we got so much done.  Finn and Tali had their encore performance of the 2nd graders choir.  I was so happy I got to see it although only 20 kids showed up so it wasn't as powerful as it would have been to see all 130 2nd graders.  Mom came to that.

After the performance we had to run to Nana's to give her the handcream and soap.  Mark and I really enjoy visiting with Nana.  We are going to miss her. (I know Dad will read this to you, Nana, but it is true.)

After Nana's we got really feverish and started cleaning and going through stuff.  Mark put a bunch of stuff on craigs list.  We have had a few bites this weekend, but a lot of hits and misses.  People say they will come and then don't.  We did sell the patio furniture. I don't know what we will sit on now.  We also sold the antique table that Mark garbage picked and Mark sold my bike out from under me.  They had barely driven away when the kids told me that my bike was gone.  I totally freaked out because I had given it to Hannah.  I made Mark call the people and they were gracious enough to bring it back.  We also got another offer on the house.  Ha!  What a joke.  We would have had this house sold at least 4 times by now if it weren't for the bank.  These people said they would put an offer on it tomorrow if they could.  They are a very nice young couple too, who lives up the street and their family is into dairy cows.  I would really love for this house to go to someone who wants to have animals here.  I went into the barn tonight looking for a chair for the porch and I just started crying and crying.  It is so sad in there.  So many memories.  So much life.  I miss that so much.  Even though it was a lot of work and I needed a break, I really, really miss the energy that all of my animals brought to that space.  Now it is lifeless.  Except, there was a swallow's nest with babies chirping in it, so that's something.  I don't think I can go back in there again though.  It is hard enough looking out over that lush pasture and seeing it go to waste.  The pasture looks really great this year too!  Go figure.  I think the goats ate up all the weeds. 

Tomorrow I have a cardiologist's appt. at 3:30 so I took my last Special Privilege Leave day since we had a meeting anyway and those things are always boring and useless.  I have to run to the sheriff's office to get my background check too.  Tuesday morning we have our court date to readopt Tali and Finn.  Yeah! 

Mark's brain scan came back normal.  What a huge relief.  They still want to do a complete nuerological checkup still though.

We are going camping at Beaver Creek this weekend. Our last hoorah at Beaver Creek. Mark will go down with the kids on Friday to get us a spot and I'm going to head down with Scout on Sat. since I don't want to miss anymore work. 11 more days. I can't believe it.










No comments:

Post a Comment