Saturday, June 23, 2012

2 Days and I am Scared Shitless

I almost skipped my morning walk because I am so dang tired and sleeping on the floor left me aching, but I'm glad I didn't.  It was a beautiful morning...cool and crisp with no humidity.  The birds are a lot quiter at 7 a.m. than at 6. 

Yesterday felt like a bit of a waste.  Since we had so much running around to do we didn't get much done around the house.  I got my hair cut and colored and Tali got her hair cut.  I had Brooke take off about 4 inches straight across.  She did the same with her bangs and Tali looks adorable.  It has a nice swing to it now and really frames her face beautifully.

Next we ran home to get Mark and Finn and headed over to Jim Monjot's to sign the final paperwork for our will and testament and our Power of Attorney.  Jim plans on visiting us in the future and we will be happy to show him around and set him up with some exciting adventures. 

On to the mall where Mark bought tennis shoes at Dick's along with button-downs and khakis at Macy's.  I stocked up on my Clinique Happy.  Got a nice big bottle.  I wish I could have bought two, but maybe I will find a good substitute in Cuenca.  While we were waiting for the woman behind the Clinique counter Tali looked in a mirror and said, "I LIKE myself.".  Music to a Mom's ears!  Now my job will be to make sure she feels that way for the rest of her life.  A daunting task in the U.S. for sure.  I wonder if it will be easier in Ecuador. 

A final stop at Charter One to have copies made of our Power of Attorney and then home.  It was 4:00 by then and I was dragging.  I did a bit of laundry and got the bed ready for Deanna to pick up.  Deanna and Eric bought our king-size Tempurpedic bed.  I am so glad that it went to someone who will appreciate it and it didn't get stuck staying here.  I hope they love it as much as I did.  I sure was missing it last night!  They showed up at 6:00 and surprisingly enough it was pretty easy to move.  The three men, Mark, Eric and Deanna's dad, rolled up the mattress and cinched it together with straps.  The boxsprings are split down the middle so they were very easy to move.  I thought it was going to be a nightmare moving that bed, but it went very well.

Today we are going to pick up the van.  I don't think we will start to fill it yet until tomorrow.  I have all of the footlockers lined up and open against the wall so that I can see if something else can be added to each one.  I know their weights so it shouldn't be hard to figure out how much more I can add. It looks like Mark may or may not have an issue getting the still into Ecuador.  We will just have to see what they make of it and whether it will carry an import tax. 

I have been watching the weather in Miami very closely for about a week now.  A few days ago the predicted temp was going to be 89 and my heart sank.  Then it went down to 87, but when I checked this morning the forecasted temperature said 85.  I am holding my breath that it stays at 85 or goes even lower.  Some people have said that the airlines won't fly pets when the temperature is above 85, but whenever I have called LAN they have said that the area is ventilated and that they don't have any restrictions on pets flying in the summer.  Only the winter.  Please keep your fingers crossed that we get her there okay.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have everything ready, I think it will go very smoothly for you. It will be interesting to see what they say about the still. Have a very safe trip and may your journey be smooth and care free...

    The Jones Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you are feeling is normal...we were all scared shitless on those last few days before leaving for Ecuador (and boy, do I remember the nights sleeping on the floor after our beds were sold!).
    But you are off for a GREAT adventure, and looking forward to hearing about your new life here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been following your journey and getting ready for your flight down to Ecuador. My husband and I will follow in early September. I noticed in your pictures the large plastic boxes. I learned from your Blog you had bought them at WalMart. I would like to know how they did on the trip? Where they "over sized" containers and the air lines charged extra?

    Peggy Mooney

    ReplyDelete